People Eat Pizza Naked

We have the oddest conversations at my internship. Being in reality TV development, it's a bit necessary to be the type of person who can talk about the odd things we do naked and or the things we do while eating. One girl, for example, enjoys eating pizza naked whilst enjoying a night in. Hey, whatever sprinkles her cheese I guess. I can't have cheese so I was jealous of her... and the pizza. I didn't ask what kind of TV she liked to watch while eating pizza in the nude because I was afraid of which turn the conversation would take. There are only so many things you want know know about specific people.

And there are only so many people I want to learn about, too. Miki Howard is not one of them. As a class we watched a biopic (bio-pic) (whatever) about the life of the R&B singer as she reached for fame. The *typical* life of an R&B singer who didn't know how to deal with her issues. If I were to guess, I would say 50% of celebrities have tried drugs, and 25% become addicted to drugs. When I imagine celebrities at parties I also imagine a designated T-shirt gun that shoots out weed and coke in 20 minute increments. If you become addicted to drugs... you're nothing special. Miki had two kids and a series of abusive relationships. The movie depicted her as the victim in every relationship, and who knows if that's how it really happened. Thus - she turned to drugs to numb the pain of everything she'd failed at in her love life and career. Miki Howard is a talented entertainer, and every one has a moment in their lives when they fall down the rabbit hole and have to dig their way out. But Miki's story wasn't very moving to me. However, Teyonah Parris stole the show by being an amazing actress.

Last night we had an Alumni Mixer. It was clean, sober fun. Like seriously, everyone was sober and it was really weird. In between networking with strangers I just couldn't help but wonder what it would be like if we turned that mixer into a full on kegger. Could you imagine the Dean being held up in a keg stand by my Comm Law professor and his wife?

Writer problems: You imagine the weirdest shit at the most inappropriate times.

Being surrounded by all these people with jobs I got really overwhelmed. Talking comes easily to me but I'm like an iPhone 4s with an otterbox. I can take a hell of a beating but I rapidly lose battery and have to be recharged often. After so many conversations I powered down. If the mixers were biweekly it would be easier to become acquainted with the fellow Grady Alum because it's easier to talk to a familiar face. Me and the other Grady LA kids are rowing the same boat for the most part, so there's that connection. But we have better chances at pulling a job out of our asses than finding one the old fashioned way. Or we could just kick it Miki Howard style, give up, smoke coco puffs on the reg and then really fit in with the city culture.

But I know our type. We won't give up, and this whole adventure will be worth it.

That doesn't change the fact that I still hate talking to strangers for an elongated amount of time sequestered in sobriety and surrounded by stuff I can't eat because I don't want to get gassy. There is nothing worse than getting gassy while talking to established strangers.

Comments