The Weird Things I've Had To Research

Last night I had to park my car on this sketchy almost-the-side of a cliff in my apartment complex. When I was getting in my car this morning I wondered wether falling off the side of a small cliff would warrant an absence from my internship. I doubt the coordinator would have cared if I showed up an hour later had I accidentally fallen off the side of a cliff. I mean it's just a thought. I'd still go to work wether I was bruised up or not, it would just be a very long day. Now that my foot is pretty much healed it's only a matter of time before something else blows up.

The past couple of projects at my internship involved looking up widows or widowers who had married their brothers or sisters in law (which was weird). Ever heard of a levirate marriage? Yeah neither did I until Monday. It's a Hebrew tradition where a man has to marry his bother's wife if his brother died. All I could wonder was, "What if the wife is a total nut case?" What if it was a praying mantis situation? I'd be afraid to be her new husband. But anyway, it's a total thing where people fall in love with their brothers or sisters in law. Kinda odd, but all right. Then we had to look up virgins who were or wanted to be artificially inseminated. How could you be asexual but want offspring? Something is so slanted with that to me. Either way my point is that we will mock cast for mock shows or concepts and the best part is that people like this actually exist. There are people who live in houses shaped like shoes. There are people who are alligator therapists. And there are people who marry their mother-in-law. You haven't seen weird until you get real freaky with that Google Search bar. So far that's what this internship is teaching me. That and how to create a show on the fly, no matter how bad the concept might seem. For example, today me, Jive, and Brainstorm made a show about surrogate mothers living in the house with the family who's baby they're growing. There is potential for real drama in there so we rolled with it. It was either that or make a show about naked male maids (they exist) or old farts with garage bands. Surrogates was the safe choice this fine Wednesday.

Comments

  1. It's funny your thought was what if the wife was a nut case because I thought the entire tradition sounded crazy! What happens if the brother is already married?! So many questions. Mock casting for off-kilter reality shows sounds like a lot of fun. Usually people like that are so off the wall that you could just film them and go without any planning (kind of like the mom and Presley Cash in The Hollywood Complex). I am actually really curious about the asexual people who want children. You're gonna have to explain that one in detail to me.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment